Nigeria’s Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has slammed various charges bordering on fraud and money laundering on a former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki; former Sokoto Governor, Attahiru Bafarawa; and founder of Daar Holdings Plc, Raymond Dokpesi, in the Federal High Court Abuja. The charges also include diversion of public funds and breach of public trust among others.
Former Minister of State for Finance, Bashir Yuguda, a former Director of Finance at the NSA office, Shuaibu Salisu, Bafarawa’s son, Sagir; and a company, Dalhatu Investment Limited will also be docked on a 22-count charge of fraud and money laundering.
In a separate charge, Mr. Dasuki; Mr. Salisu; a former director at the NNPC, Aminu Baba Kusa; and two firms, Acacia Holdings Limited and Reliance Referral Hospital would be face 19-counts of fraud, corruption and money laundering.
In a third charge sheet, also filed by the EFCC at the court, Mr. Dokpesi and the company he founded, Daar Investment and Holdings would face a two-count charge of fraud and money laundering.
A source at the EFCC told PREMIUM TIMES that all the accused persons might be docked on Wednesday at the FHC Abuja. But I am unable to independently verify that information.
The spokesperson to the EFCC, Wilson Uwujaren, confirmed to the publication that charges had been filed against the suspects. He however didn’t provide details of the charges.
One Babasola Kuti, who appeared to be acting on behalf of the Dokpesi family said in a statement that the sixth charge slammed against Daar Investments Holding Ltd relates to alleged breach of the public procurement act of 2007. The Government alleges that Dokpesi and his company had knowledge that the N2.1 billion paid to them by the federal government, through the office of the NSA, represented the proceeds of criminal conduct.”
It continued, “The other five counts accused them of fraudulent and corrupt act by entering into a contract with the federal government for presidential media initiative and that they got paid N2.1 billion without any open competitive bidding; without a written and comprehensive request to them by the federal government of Nigeria; and without a “certificate of no objection” for contract award.
“According to one of the counts, the money received by Dr. Raymond Dokpesi represents proceeds of criminal conduct of former NSA Colonel Sambo Dasuki, and Shuaibu Salisu who was a director of finance in the office of the National Security Adviser.”
The statement however noted that the charges slammed on Mr. Dokpesi had nothing to do with arms purchase.
Mr. Dokpesi’s family had last week issued a statement saying, the Daar founder never bidded for any contract with either the office of the NSA or Ministry of Defence.
They said his company submitted a proposal for media-related job to former President Goodluck Jonathan, which was approved, executed and paid for through the office of the National Security Adviser.
Meanwhile, the trial of the former National Security Adviser, Colonel Sambo Dasuki for illegal possession of arms has again been stalled following the filing of an objection by the counsel to Colonel Dasuki.
Dasuki’s lawyer is challenging the application by the Federal Government to revoke the bail granted to the former National Security Adviser by the court.
At the resumed trial, lawyer to the Federal Government, Mr Oladipo Okpeseyi, told the court that he had two applications seeking to revoke the bail earlier granted to the accused person by the court and another application seeking to stop the further execution of the order of the court directing that the passport of the accused person be released to him.
He, however, told the court that he found it difficult to present the application, because he was served with the defendant’s objection right there in court and needed time to respond to the preliminary objection filed by the Lawyer to Colonel Dasuki.
Because of that, he applied for an adjournment.
Joseph Daudu, Lawyer to the former National Security Adviser did not oppose the application for adjournment.
He said the Prosecutor was entitled to adequate time to enable him respond to the objections raised by him.
With the consent of the counsels, the trial judge, Justice Adeniyi Ademola, adjourned the trial to January 20, 2016 for the hearing of the preliminary objection and other pending applications.